On Windows you can record your screen to an .mp4 file using ffmpeg:
- Download ffmpeg for Windows from http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
- Run e.g. with following command:
ffmpeg -f gdigrab -framerate 30 -show_region 1 -i desktop out.mp4
(the capture devices
did not work for me on my Windows 10 machine, they were not even listed in the available video devices.)
For details see ffmpeg's https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop
On Windows 10, you can also try to use Windows' Screen Recording to record a window. Just press Win+G and check Yes, this is a game. Afterwards you get a Record button. Your recordings will be saved to
You can automatically attach the Visual Studio Just-In-Time debugger when a process is started on Windows. The steps are simple:
- Open the Registry Editor
- navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options
- Select the application you want to debug:
- Either it already exists as subkey, then use that one
- Or, you have to create a new key in Image File Execution Options with the name of the application (e.g. chrome.exe)
- Create a new string value with name debugger and name vsjitdebugger.exe
My Virtual Machine was running very slow in VirtualBox 4.3.28. Unbearable slow. I though I remembered running it faster, but I wasn't sure.
Indicators for the problem I'll describe next are:
- In CPU-Z the VT-x feature is missing in the Instructions list of the CPU.
- In VirtualBox's Create New dialog box only 32-bit OS are shown.
- In VirtualBox's settings of an existing VM, the Acceleration tab in the System settings is disabled/grayed out.
After some googling around at the wrong corners of the Internet I found this post by vonnie mentioning that maybe on my Windows 8.1 host the feature Hyper-V was enabled. I think this steals the VT-x functionality somehow for usage by itself. Disabling this feature boosted the performance of my VMs dramatically!
To disable Hyper-V in Windows 8.1 go to Turn Windows features on or off via Windows' search functionality (hotkey: Win+Q). You'll have to reboot.
These screenshots have been taken after fixing the problem:
The following configures git to use VIM as the default editor (e.g. for commit messages) on Windows:
git config --system core.editor 'C:\\PROGRA~2\\Vim\\vim73\\gvim.exe' --wait
- Uses short directory names. You can find these using e.g.:
dir /X "C:\Program Files (x86)*"
Notice the star at the end of the command line. This will reveal the short name
- Use double backslashes
- Use single quotes
- Use the
--wait option after closing the single quotes for the path to the VIM editor
Playing logoff sound seems to be very expensive....
List of things to do after Windows 7 install
+ Bonus: added specials for Windows 8.1
- Old style menu
- Language: Prefer English: Tools \ Options \ Content
- Preferences / Privacy / ...Do not track
- Copy old mails from %APPDATA%\Thunderbird\Profiles\vdfgdfdfg\...
- mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar: false
- Security / Web Contents / Tell... do not track
- Advanced / Reading and Display / Uncheck: Automatically mark messages as read
- Display / Formatting / Plain Text Messages: Uncheck: Display emoticons as graphics
Clink - Powerful Bash-style command line editing for cmd.exe
- Change Save folder: D:\Temp\greenshots
- Destination: Save directly...
- During install: Enable "Create .bat files for command line usage", disable "Native language support"
- Make GVim the "default". In "CMD (Run as Administrator)"
cd /d C:\windows
ren vim.bat cvim.bat
ren vimdiff.bat cvimdiff.bat
ren vimtutor.bat cvimtutor.bat
copy gvim.bat vim.bat
copy gvimdiff.bat vimdiff.bat
Quick Launch in Task Bar
- Activate (as in WinXP)
- Task Bar, right click / Toolbars / New toolbar... / %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\
- Add CMD shortcut
- Change CMD shortcut properties
- Options / Edit Options / Quick Edit
- Layout/Screen Buffer Size / Height: 9999
- Shortcut / Start In: C:\
- Remove: Internet Explorer, Switch between windows, Show desktop
- Still setup-x86.exe (not setup-x64.exe)
- Options / Settings / General / Directories & files
- Options / Settings / CD Database / Remote freedb / Your E-mail address
Bullzip PDF Printer
- No MSN / Bing, etc.
- No Click to call
- Launch at Windows startup?
- Disable: Skype WiFi
- Privatsphäre / Microsoft erlauben, personalisierte Anzeigen... -> Disable
- Advanced / Advanced Settings / Skype in Taskleiste anzeigen: Disable
- Windows Traybar: Show icon and notifications
- During install: No Smileys
- Create %USERPROFILE%\.octaverc with line "output_precision(14)"
- IrfanView itself
- Assiciate with extensions: Images only
- No Chrome browser
- IrfanView PlugIns
- After installation: Configure Java / Advanced / Miscellaneous (bottom) / Suppress sponsor offers when installing or updating Java
- During installation: Uncheck: File type association for audio files, Uncheck: Context menu
- Maybe download via Visual Studio. Menu
Extensions and updates... to avoid registration
- In Code Compare: Menu
Use standalone application from command line by default
- Allow remote access to your computer
- Change ownership of previously used hard disk drivers via Computer Management / Disk Management / Properties / Security / Advanced / Owner / Edit / Change owner to...
- Manage file encryption certificates / Export
- Tools / Folder options / View:
- Display full path in title bar
- Show hidden files,....
- Uncheck: Hide extensions...
- Uncheck: Hide protected operating files....
- Get via GetGnuWin32
- Destination: D:\TEMP
- cd /d D:\TEMP\GetGnuWin32
- install C:\gnuwin32
- rd /q /s D:\TEMP\GetGnuWin32
- append to PATH: C:\gnuwin32\bin
- ren sort.exe _sort.exe & ren mkdir.exe _mkdir.exe (these are problematik as they do not work as the Windows tools with same name but are expected by e.g. many build scripts)
Miscellaneous Additional settings
- Desktop: Personalize \ Desktop Background \ Solid colors: Black
- Control panel: View by: Small Icons
- Date and time: Internet Time: ptbtime1.ptb.de
- Power Options: Change plan settings / Put computer to sleep: Never
- Taskbar: Uncheck: Lock the taskbar, Use small icons, Taskbar buttons: Never combine
- Troubleshooting / Change settings: Off
- Windows Defender: Tools / Microsoft SpyNet / I don't want to join...
- Keyboard: Install custom keyboard layout
- Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Action Center\Problem Reporting Settings: Never check for solutions
- Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization\Window Color and Appearance: Disable transparency
- Windows Media Player: Custom settings: Everything "Internet": Disable
- Windows 8.1: Change Search to always launch a new instance. Use registry file from this blog post: reghack_win81_search_DesktopAppsAlwaysLaunchNewInstance.reg
- Disable changing of keyboard layout with CTRL+SHIFT: go to Settings / Language / Advanced settings / Change language bar hot keys / Between input languages: Change key sequence: Not assigned
- Disable "Windows is checking for solution" dialog: run "gpedit", change Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Error Reporting: Disable Windows Error Reporting -> Enabled